Ostrich live in savanna, desert and open woodland of central and southern Africa. Their life span is 30-40 years, males are black with white necks and females are grey. Their diet consists of grass, leaves, and seeds but have been known to eat insects, small reptiles and rodents. They also eat pebbles to help them digest food.
Want To Know More
- Ostriches have a wing span of 2 meters and us them as a rudder when running to help them change direction, they can run up to 40mph and in one stride can span 3-5 meters.
- Ostriches have the largest eyes of any land animal measuring almost 5cm across, allowing them to see predators at long distances.
- They are the world’s largest bird and they can grow up to 9ft and weight up to 320lb,
- Ostriches lay the largest egg in the world weighing 1.5kg, the equivalent of 24 chicken eggs.
- Ostriches can only kick forward and have a kick powerful enough to disembowel a lion.