Closing date: Friday 17th February 2023
Salary ranging from £22,714.00 - £28,700.00 DOE
(Plus living out allowance of £2,600.00 per annum if onsite accommodation is not required or available)
We are currently recruiting for a Head Keeper, within our Gorilla Section at Port Lympne Hotel & Reserve.
Reporting directly to the Animal Director the successful candidate will be required to oversee the management of the Gorilla collection and personnel with duties including:
• Production of a section plan for the animals based at Port Lympne Hotel & Reserve.
• Assisting with the planning and transport of animals for our ex-situ projects.
• Recruitment, development of the team, conducting performance appraisals and dealing with disciplinary issues.
• Assisting with the development of trainee keepers and providing guidance to interns and volunteers.
• Maintenance of animal welfare standards.
• Reporting any animal health concerns to the Animal Director and liaising with the on-site veterinary team when required.
• Managing, preparing and distributing diets.
• Completing the time management system for the section.
• Liaising with the Animal Director’s Assistant for feed orders and departmental supplies.
• Maintaining enclosures to a high standard of hygiene and cleanliness as well as assisting with the general repair and improvement of enclosures when required.
• Giving talks, encounters and answering enquiries from the public in a helpful and polite manner.
• Communication with other departments to keep them informed of developments within the collection.
• Representation of the company in media or external talks when required.
What are we looking for:
• Significant experience as a senior Keeper, which must have included working with Great apes for a substantial number of years.
• Worked in a zoological collection or similar, to at least deputy head of section level, and be a highly organised, self-motivated individual with a proactive approach.
• An in-depth understanding or Gorilla nutrition, husbandry and successful breeding programmes.
• Excellent leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a team.
• This is a physically demanding position so candidates must have a good level of physical fitness.
• A full valid driving licence.
• Be accurate in written work with good attention to detail, possess excellent organisational skills and be computer literate with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Outstanding all-round animal husbandry skills and be enthusiastic in contributing to the enrichment of the species.
• Be comfortable interacting with the public and delivering talks.
• An awareness of current conservation issues and a passion for animal welfare.
• Holding a recognised Animal Management qualification and knowledge of all aspects of H&S including risk assessments would be an advantage.
Working hours are 40 hours per week, worked 5 days out of 7 including weekends and bank holidays, the successful candidate will have a genuinely flexible approach to working hours.
Port Lympne Hotel & Reserve is a world-renowned wild animal park set within 600 acres of Kentish savannah. The Reserve is home to some of the world’s most rare and endangered animals and offers luxury short breaks accommodation, free roaming animal safaris, once-in-a-lifetime animal encounters and exquisite dining experiences. Most importantly, every one of our employees is part of real conservation in action and their efforts have contributed to animals such as black rhino and western lowland gorillas being returned to their natural habitats in collaboration with our partners at The Aspinall Foundation.
Why you should join us:
As well as walking to work surrounded by the calls of Howler monkeys and roars from our pride of Lions, you will also join a supportive team who are passionate about their place of work.
You can also expect a host of other benefits including:
• 28 days annual leave inclusive of bank holidays, rising with length of service.
• Comprehensive training and development opportunities, including workshops and e-learning
• Enhanced Sickness, Maternity and Paternity Policies.
• Unlimited free entry for you and a person of your choice into both of our parks as well as friends and family tickets.
• Exceptional discounts on food, retail, and accommodation at our parks.
• Numerous retail discounts and access to a 24-hour counselling line through our Healthy Extras Scheme.
• And many more length or service-related rewards and Benefits.
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK. A reliable mode of transport is recommended due to our remote location.
To Apply: Please use the form below or email your full C.V. and covering letter to email@example.com