Ever wondered how to transport three critically endangered black rhinos from Kent to Africa? The Aspinall Foundation has done just that. On 16th June 2012 Monduli, Grumeti and Zawadi started their epic journey to their natural homeland after weeks of patient training to habituate them to their specially crafted travel crates.
1. Berry White and keeper Nick Turk saw off the ends of the rhinos' horns to protect them during transit
2. The crates are loaded onto a trailer and driven up to the large visitor car park where the DHL truck awaits.
3. DHL kindly provided the transport for Monduli, Grumeti and Zawadi's journey
4. Preparing to board at Manston Airport
5. Boarding the specially enlisted DHL Boeing 757
6. From the left: Head Rhino Keeper, Paul Beer, Berry White and keepers Claire Lupton and Kyra Walsh.
7. Crates on a plane. The rhino crates are secured ready for the flight to Tanzania.
8. Keeper, Claire Lupton, serves the in flight meal at 35,000 feet
9. Arrive in Tanzania. The crates are lifted by crane onto a truck.
10. Trucks are used to transfer the rhinos in their crates from the airport.
11. The rhinos are welcomed by crowds as they make their way in convoy through Mkomazi National Park.
12. The rhinos get their first glimpse of their new home as they are released from their crates into temporary enclosures, called Bomas.
13. The boma or temporary enclosure where the trio will become accustomed to their new surroundings prior to being released into the reserve.
14. The rhinos seek reassurance from Berry White in their new bomas.
15. Jet lag. A well earned rest after a long, but successful journey from Port Lympne Wild Animal Park back to the wild in Mkomazi Game Reserve, Tanzania.
Text BACK to 70300 to donate £3* to the Back to the Wild Appeal and help us send more animals back home where they belong.
*Donations will be deducted from your mobile phone account and cost £3 plus your standard network text message rate. The Aspinall Foundation will receive 100% of your donation. Always get the bill payers permission